Have you ever thought of building your own golf push cart? The truth is building your DIY golf cart has advantageous features. For instance, you get the satisfaction that comes with creating something by hand. Besides, you also save up on a lot of money which would have been spent on the purchase of a golf push cart. The process is not complicated at all. This article will take you through how to go about this.
What Will You Need?
To build an effective and efficient golf cart, you’ll certainly require some tools. Some of these tools include:
- A ruler- for taking measurements.
- Centrifugal power or clutch (for transmitting the power from the motor all the way to the wheels)
- Motors, for example, water pumps or leaf blowers.
- Some wrenches
- Selecting the motor
- Transmitting the power to the wheels
- Finishing up
By using the ruler, measure the exact length and height of the motor establishment on the cart. It is very discouraging once you measure the wrong dimensions and end up realizing the engine doesn’t quite fit. Therefore, during this stage, take as much time as possible and counter check your findings before you move on to the next step.
2. Selecting the Motor
Once you have identified the exact size of the engine, try to look for the one which can easily fit. Here, the varieties include water pump, lawn mower, or any other motor-driven machines. Just like knowing the best brush cutter blade for your lawn, you need to choose the best motor service for your gold cart. There are two essential aspects which you should always keep in mind while searching for a good motor. These are:
- The power service ensure you pick the one that produces ten horsepower. Why so? Well, you would want your cart to be active as possible and not stop even as it goes through a small hill.
- The cooling system- cooling by air is a very simple cooling process recommended for a golf cart where it cools as the air passes. There is also cooling through water where the cooling process occurs through a fluid that runs through a radiator. It is important mentioning that if you do not set up your cooling system appropriately, it stands a greater chance of overheating.
3. Transmitting the Power to the Wheels
So far, so good! You have already identified a motor capable of providing your golf push cart with the best supply of power. So how do you transmit the energy or power down to the wheels? Here, you’ll require two types of devices. These are a centrifugal clutch or a real power converter. We recommend using power converters since they come with an automatic gearbox. But why do we say so?
The gearbox automatically turns to a lower gear when operating at low speeds. Hence, this gives you more power. Once you purchase a power converter from the store or through online platforms, install it on your golf cart following the user’s manual. The only tools that you are going to need are screwdrivers and may be a wrench!
4. Finishing Up
There are two options for a golf cart. These include one wheel drive or two wheel drive. When it comes to a one-wheel drive, the process of operating it are far much easier this is because there are one wheel drives in many assemblies and car part stores. The rear wheel, brakes, and sprocket are sold as a single piece and are in many cases installed together. As such, their process of installation is very easy.
You may also decide to install a two wheel drive, which will require you to use a live differential or axle. We recommend you use the differential as it performs better. It sends the necessary amount of power to each steering wheel. Installing a differential is also rather easy, and it can be done by only using a wrench or a screwdriver. This is following the mounting instructions on the manual.
A Summary of What Needs Careful Observation
- Conduct proper measurements on the type of motor body required.
- Choose the most appropriate motor device
- Make sure you have sufficient power supply all through the system.
It’s clear that the process of making your golf cart is not as complicated as most people may think. By following the above steps, you are likely to come up with an amazing golf push cart. Remember that your motor system has to have enough power to supply to the wheels. A good example might be selecting the best electric pressure washers which run on a high motor power supply. We hope that this article has helped you learn on how to build your gold push cart!